Monday, July 14, 2008

COINSTAR - IS IT WORTH IT?


About once a year I take a week long vacation to Las Vegas. Not so much to gamble, but to just get away without wasting too much money on gas.

The first thing everyone does before Vegas is to gather all their coins in one big jar. Usually I have around $200 in change saved up throughout the year. My only dilemma is whether I want to drive 8 miles to my credit union and pour my coins into a machine that will give me back 100% of the money or go across the street to the local Coinstar machine that takes an annoying percentage of your hard earned money.

If I do drive the 8 miles, I will be using about $8 in gas. If I pour $200 into a Coinstar machine I will be charged 8.9% handling fee, which comes to $17.80.

BUT WAIT......THERE IS ONE MORE THING YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

Did you know that if you take your money to Coinstar and you cash out in the form of a gift card, you get 100% of your money back? I didn't know that either. My brother called me and told me.

There are tons of stores to choose from for your gift certificate. My brother chose Amazon.com which has everything under the sun.

The next time I need to cash in some coins, it will be with Coinstar. I will be cashing it in for a gas gift card. That is one gift card I will use immediately.

No comments: