Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Is Starbucks the Wal-Mart of coffee?


I was reading my Fast Company magazine and it brought a few Starbucks facts to my attention. Did you know.....

1. Starbucks' closest competitor is Caribou Coffee (never heard of the place) and they are only one twenty fifth the size of Starbucks.

2. Starbucks pays more for it's employees' insurance ($200 million) then it pays for it's coffee beans.

3. The average customer pays $4.05 per visit for coffee. The average fast food visitor spends $4.34 for an entire meal.

4. When Starbucks bumped the 8 oz. cup off the menu for the 10 oz. "tall" (the new small) it increased profits by 25 cents per cup for only 2 cents more added product.

I stopped paying $4.00 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks about a year ago.

I realized that I could go to the local 7-Eleven and pay $1.29 for the same size coffee, which I could doctor up at the flavor counter. Then, I realized that I could make coffee at home for even less money. I am currently using the Kirkland fine ground coffee along with a Coffee Mate flavored creamers from the store.

Think about it. Is one person's coffee better than another's? Probably not. So you might as well save money on your coffee habit where you can, because you're going to need it for your gas tank.


No comments: