Monday, July 16, 2012

The Internet is Unpredictable

Some governments have tried to control it. People are getting rich off it. Music and movies are stolen from it. Taxes can't efficiently be collected from it. No one can stop the growth of it.

I was apart of the Internet from the beginning. I had a service called PRODIGY.
I would sit for hours with Prodigy waiting for a flashing square to alert me that someone wrote me an email. It was very much like Google+ back I'm the day. It was an incredible service, but nobody was there so it took awhile to find another person to write you.

My brother Charles and I have tried to understand how to market yourself and get noticed on the Internet. We have yet to nail down a formula for success. We believe there is no rhyme or reason for how some things become big and others don't.

I do know this. Money breeds money even on the Internet. Take the successful KICKSTARTER project OUYA gaming box. The details don't matter. What matters is that once the project started earning money, more people jumped on for the ride. The faster it grew, the faster it grew. It's a snowball effect. The problem is how to start a snowball.

My favorite thing to hear is when clueless companies say, "we need a website" or "let's do an online promotion. Millions of people will see our product". No one sees you! Your in a universe of millions and yet no one knows you exist. You have to cultivate whatever you do on the internet. Share with people. Post on websites that care about what you do. Scream your full head off until a few people say, "Hey. Look at that guy jumping up and down on the internet. Let's take a peak and see what is has."

When you do have a few eyes on the internet, you better have something worth while to show them, whether it's a product or blog or show. You need to always be on the top of your game.

I tell every one that asks that it will take a full year to get a small audience together for whatever your working on. If you can't put that time and energy into your venture then don't bother starting.

This is just the beginning of this discussion.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts and feelings are about become someone or something on the internet. How do you think people get discovered on the web?

No comments: