Monday, June 25, 2012

Family Vacation - San Diego


So as some of you know I fantasize about the idea of a STAYCATION. I love not driving, flying or fighting other people to get where I want to go.

Driving sucks. You have to time when your leaving So Cal because if you leave at the wrong time, it could take you hours to get out of your own neighborhood. It once took me 3 hours to travel 50 miles. So leaving in the wee hours of the morning is best.

If your traveling by airport then forget it. Just expect to be miserable the whole time. Everyone is irritated they have to strip down, pull out electrical devices, get scanned like your some foreign object. Then waiting to be funneled into a metal tube where the seat belts barely snap closed and your arm is in the lap next to  you. I love how these plane designs are from 1963.
My favorite part is the guy trying to cram a carry on luggage the size of an elephant into the overhead compartment. That guy always puts it above MY head. I am always the lucky guy who sits there with some stranger's crotch pressing against my shoulder while my life hangs on the line with the fact that he is strong enough NOT to drop this luggage on my head.

The most exciting part of arrive at your timeshare/hotel is to realize that your there 2 hours early for check in. Now your exhausted, irritated, hungry and smell bad from traveling all day and they tell you that your room won't be ready until 4pm. HOW FRICKEN LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CLEAN A ROOM. You kick us out at 11am and can't have 1 room available until 4pm. Seriously???

So, I get into my room and we always do the same thing. I run around turning on all the lights. I see what immunities we have. I look in the kitchen at all the utensils i know I am not every going to use on vacation. I just like to know my options. Then I cran on the AC. I figure that I am getting every pennies worth of this room. I order 7 bags of coffee right away knowing they only gave us one bag fot the first day. I also ask for extra pillows knowing that your head is going to sink right through the first one as soon as you go to bed.
Then the music source. I must set up music knowing that this room was decorated in 1985. I set up my MONSTER BLUETOOTH SPEAKER that plays all my music from my iphone without even docking it. I then set up my little office/charging station. A place for my toys. ipad, laptop, watch, keys, iphone, gum and hotel key. This is my go to spot. Surf the net, play music or just read a book.

This week it's San Diego. It's close to home. Quick drive. And closer to mexico meaning even better mexican food places that the OC. Yes Seaworld and the zoo are in my plans. To make it fun, I have brought my CANON T2i with the zoom lens. I plan on documenting everything in photos and video. I also brought my iphone of course and will be hitting as much food spots as possible to bring back home for my JACK ON THE GO SHOW (http://youtube.com/jackonthego)

So what are some things you hate about vacations and what are some crazy rituals you do when you arrive at your room?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love staycations too! :)

I'd love to feature this post on our San Diego-based site. Email me for details.

shondra (at) dwellable (dot) com

Thanks!
Shondra