Thursday, March 13, 2008

10 ways to fight soaring gas prices.

Nothing was better than sitting in my v6 Pontiac Grand Am waiting for the light to turn green and then blowing the tires off a crappy 2001 Mustang. My heart would race just for the pleasure of putting some punk 19 year old in his place.

Those were the good old days.

A few years ago, it took me $20 dollars to fill up my car. Now it takes me $62.00. Everytime I accelerate I can hear money falling out of my pocket. So I decided to sit down and come up with ways to not use gas or to at least use very little gas in my life.

Hear are ten ways to fight soaring gas prices:

1. Kill Two Birds With One Trip: If you have errands to do, don't do them on the weekend. Spread them throughout the week. Each day on your way home, stop and do one errand. Then the next day on the way home do another errand. The whole idea is not to make separate trips. If your going to pass the cleaners on your way home from work then pull over and get your clothes. This will also give you plenty of free time on the weekend, since you'll have no errands left.

2. Carpooling: Seriously consider carpooling. Split the gas bill each week and spend half as much on commuting.

3. Different vehicle: Consider a scooter, motorcycle, or downsizing your car. How many of us really need the Yukon or Suburban? I can't remember the last time I saw a Suburban full of kids. If you have to have the SUV then your spouse should have the Toyota Matrix. Use the economy car for as much as possible.

4. Use the Bus: Taking the bus is now the smart way to travel. You can get monthly unlimited passes from your local transportation office.

5. Mail Stuff: See if it's less expensive to mail something than to drive something. How about messenger service. Check the cost. Especially in the big city, it could save gas and time.

6. Air Conditioner: Stop using the air conditioner unless absolutely necessary. It puts a strain on the engine causing it to work harder using up 10% more gas.

7. Video Conferencing: don't drive to visit other offices or other friends or family. Try video conferencing. It's free. Mac users use iChat and PC users use AIM. Do your meeting online or say hi to relatives and chat all you want face to face on the computer.

8. Car Wash: Try filling up when you need a car wash. Some gas stations allow you a 5 cent discount if you pay for their $8 car wash.

9. Shut the car off: I see people park their car at their destination and keep it running while they finish up their phone conversation. Shut the car off! I have also seen parents wait for their kid to come out of school. Shut your car off. People leave the car running to listen to the radio. Not smart.

10. New Job: I truly believe people will need to be closer to their jobs than ever before. Start looking for a job that's within 5 or 10 miles from your house. It's always easier to look for a job when you don't need one.

These are just a few of many things that you can do to conserve gas. it's only going to get worse. I don't think this problem is going to go away. We definitely are using up the gas. We just don't know how much is left.

No comments: